Friday, September 12, 2008

Calling all SAFCEI members

Calling all SAFCEI members

This blog has been running for nine months now.

Its purpose is to facilitate communication between SAFCEI members and other people interested in the environment (if you are not a member of SAFCEI, and don't know what SAFCEI is, you can go to the main SAFCEI web site to learn more).

I started it mainly to show how a blog can aid communication for a group like SAFCEI.

Up till now, I have run it by myself. I've taken communications from the SAFCEI office, and other environmental news items and posted them on the blog.

But for it to achieve its full potential, the blog needs to be supported by more members of SAFCEI. It should not be a one-man band, but a community effort.

For a start, you could contribute by making comments on some of the posts. Anyone can do that, whether they are members of SAFCEI or not.

But it would be better still if SAFCEI members by contributing to the blog posts. Ideally there should be at least one contributing blogger for each faith community represented in SAFCEI. So this is a call for volunteers -- I'm a Christian, but there are also other varities of Christians. How about a Hindu contributor, a Buddhist contributor, a Muslim contributor, a contributor from the Bah'ai faith? These could then contribute environmental news from each of these faith communities.

How do you become a contributor?

You should be a member of SAFCEI, and then have a Google Id. If you have a Goggle e-mail address, you automatically have a Google Id, which you can then use to log in to Blogger (which yopu need to do if you want to make comments on this blog. If you don't have Google e-mail, it is easy enough to apply for, and useful if you are travelling, because you can use it anywhere there is an internet connection.

If you would like to help by contributing to this blog, please leave a comment on this post, telling a little bit about yourself, your faith community and your environmental interests and activities, and how we can contact you.

1 comment:

Rory Short said...

A really good idea Stephen. As our environmental crisis continues to worsen we need every one to join in who is able to work towards solutions in what ever way appeals to them.

I am more than happy to be a contributing Quaker.

My environmental concerns are long standing. I grew up on a dairy farm in the KZN mid-lands. When my father bought the farm I was 10 years old. The farm was suffering from the abuse and the neglect of the previous generations of owners.

There were huge dongas that cut right through the arable lands. the reason was that at least one of the previous owners had ploughed straight up and down the hillsides rather than on the contour. My father worked tirelessly to help nature to heal the damage that had been done and consequently right from early on I was introduced to a healthy concern for nature and what my father understood to be good farming practices in that regard.

Right now I am a retired urban dweller and doing whatever things I can think of, or am aware of, to reduce or eliminate any negative impacts the conduct of my life might have on the environment.

In this I am helped by visual problems as I can no longer drive a motor car. In my home I follow the principles of Zero Waste. Where I can I organically grow my own vegetables. I use the household grey water on the garden. I try to minimise my use of electricity with energy saving light bulbs, only cooking once a day, using a hay box where I can, only switching on the electric geyser for two hours a day and dressing very warmly during cold weather in order to minimise heating requirements.

Related Posts with Thumbnails